Hi travelers, welcome to my blog. In this article, I would like to give you a guidance about how to go from Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) to Borobudur Temple and also I would like to tell you some experiences that you can try in Borobudur Area.
For your information guys, right now we have already a new airport in Yogyakarta. But the new airport is located around 2 hours from the city centre. Unlike the old airport (Adi Sutjipto International Airport, JOG) that located only 30 minutes from the city centre by car.
This new airport was built to replace the old airport (Adisutjipto International Airport) that has been over capacity. The New Yogyakarta International Airport is bigger and has longer runway than the old one. It can accommodate 20 Million visitor per year, also the big aircrafts like Airbus A380 or Boeing 777 will be able to land in here. Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) is a part of government plans to make Yogyakarta as one of “The 10 New Bali”.
Location of New Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA)
Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) is located in Temon District, Kulon Progo Region, Yogyakarta Province. It is near to the border between Central Java and Yogyakarta Province. It is also close to the south beach. Just for your information guys, along the south beach from the west to the east part of Java Island have earthquake and tsunami potency.
I was thinking why the government built this new airport near the south beach, it’s too risky. But then I read an article that the architecture designs this new airport which be able to survive against earthquake till 8,8 Richter Scale and be able to survive against tsunami till 12 meter high. So, in case of natural disaster, Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) can be used as an emergency escape room for the people living near by.
Why do you need to stay near Borobudur Temple
Borobudur is known as the most visited single attraction in entire Indonesia, it is the biggest Buddhist Temple in the world that was built around 8th to 9th century. Borobudur is located in Magelang Region, Central Java Province. It is around 45 KM or 1 hour by car from Yogyakarta City Centre and around 2 hours from Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA).
Just for your information, normally people prefer to stay in Yogyakarta City Centre than to stay in Borobudur. The reason is due to most of tourist attractions and activities are easy to find or easy to reach from Yogyakarta City Centre. Normally, they come to Borobudur in a single visit in one day tour like the this Borobudur, Merapi Volcano, and Prambanan Temple Tour.
But, if you willing to stay in tranquil atmosphere with the fresh air and with the sound of rooster every early morning, staying near by Borobudur Temple can be your best option. Borobudur surrounding area is just villages, with the majority of people working as a farmer. By staying in Borobudur area, you will see the real traditional way of life of Javanese people. For sure, it is more refreshing to stay in Borobudur area compared if you stay in the city centre.
Although Borobudur area is not so developed, but there is one hotel near Borobudur that considered as one of the most expensive hotels in South East Asia. The name is Amanjiwo. Many Indonesian actors/actress or even world famous people had stayed in this hotel like David and Victoria Beckham. This luxury hotel proves that living in borobudur area is the best choice if you really want to refresh your mind, body and soul.
There are experiences that you can try during your stay in Borobudur. You may please to read it in the last part of this article.
Transportation Option from Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) to Borobudur Temple
There are several transportation options from Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) to Borobudur Temple. You can choose which one is the most convenient for you among price, privacy and services :
- Shuttle Bus operated by Damri
- Airport Taxi / Online Taxi
- Advance Booking via Tour Agencies
Damri Airport Shuttle from YIA to Borobudur Temple
If you want the cheapest option, you can go from Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) to Borobudur Temple by Damri Shuttle Bus. Damri is the one and only public transport option to take you directly to Borobudur, at least until someday if government can build train track connecting airport (YIA) – Borobudur – Yogyakarta City Centre – (YIA).
If you take this option, so there will be a departure every hour and the price is around IDR 50.000. You can be easily to find Damri Shuttle location. You just need to go out from the airport arrival area. Once you get out, the shuttle will be seen. Or if you still confuse, you can ask the airport information staff, they will give you a clear direction how to find the shuttle service.
By Damri, you will reach Borobudur Temple around 2 hours in normal traffic and you will be together with the other travelers for around 10 people. One thing that you should remember, this shuttle will not take you to your final destination. Once you reach the drop off point in Borobudur, you need to order online taxi (Gojek / Grab) to reach your accommodation.
Airport or Online Taxi from Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) to Borobudur
There are several taxi companies operate in New Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA). The rate is around IDR 350.000 – IDR 450.000 to go to Borobudur. The rate depends on the taxi agencies. Of course it is much more expensive, compared by Damri Shuttle Bus, but if you come in a group more than 2 people or there are some luggages with you, taxi will be worth it.
And by taxi, you can go directly until your final destination. You can find many taxi companies in the counters in airport arrival sector. It is just before you go out from the airport. It is very easy to find and available 24/7.
Or if you do not want to order an airport taxi, you can also book the online taxi like Gojek or Grab via apps. The price is more fair, it’s also available in airport area. But in the peak time or holidays, it can be more expensive.
Book Your Airport Airport Transport to Borobudur in Advance.
So, if you are willing to book an airport pick up in advance, I can recommend you a transport service operated by BorobudurPrambanan.com. This transport service is in affiliation with my blog. You may please to check the detail in this link or just send a whatsapp on +62 811 2650 111. They will give you an exact price of IDR 450.000 up to 5 person to take you from (YIA) to Borobudur Temple.
It is possible that you can find a cheaper airport taxi, but I just want to let you know that most of our team are able to speak english well and having experiences to work in travel industry in Yogyakarta. So on your way to Borobudur, the driver also can give you an explanation about Yogyakarta, Javanese culture or even can give you recommendation what to try or what to eat in Yogyakarta.
And if you need other tour packages in Yogyakarta City with or without guide, it is also a good idea to contact BorobudurPrambanan.com. We are working hard to maintain our quality service. It can be proven by our high rating of review in Airbnb and Trip Advisor. If you need our services, you can check the package in the website or you can also contact us by phone or whatsapp on +62 811 2650 111.
Things To Do near Borobudur.
After you know how to go from Yogyakarta International Airport (YIA) to Borobudur. In the last part of this article, i would like to suggest several activities that you can try in Borobudur :
1. Enjoy the Magical Borobudur Sunrise. Borobudur Sunrise is one of the most popular experience in Yogyakarta. Visiting Borobudur Temple in sunrise time is really different compared with normal day time. It is more tranquil, less people and you will see a wonderful view that possibly you will not find in any other places. The ticket is IDR 500.000, you can buy on the spot via Manohara Resort ( it’s a resort inside Borobudur complex and the only gate for Borobudur Sunrise)
2. Sunrise via Punthuk Setumbu Hill. There is another option if you willing to enjoy the sunrise near Borobudur. When in its perfect weather, you will also see a wonderfull sunrise. You will see the sunrise together with Borobudur looks like flying above the clouds. See maps.
3. Batik Making Experience. Batik is Indonesian National Costume, originally made by Javanese people that has been recognized by Unesco as a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. You can try the experience in Rumah Batik Lumbini. But sometimes, if you stay in luxury resorts like Plataran Borobudur Resort and Spa, Amata Resort or Amanjiwo Resort, they will organize the batik experience for you in their resort.
4. Cycling Around to Enjoy Green Scenery in Borobudur and See How Javanese People Living . Normally you can rent the bike from your hotel / homestay. If your hotel / homestay doesn’t have bike to rent, there are many bike rental available near Borobudur.
5. Try to Make Your Own Pottery Made of Clay. Pottery is one of famous export product originally from Central Java and Yogyakarta Province. Mostly it is made by hone industries. See maps
6. Visit Chicken Church. It is a building looks like a chicken and this building is a symbol of harmony of 6 religions in Indonesia. See maps
7. See How to Make Tempe (fermented soya been) and Tofu (Tahu in local name). “Tempe and Tahu” is one of original food from Indonesia. It is the best choice for vegetarians as protein substitution. From Borobudur you have to visit Tanjungsari Village. In this village there are many home industries of Tempe and Tofu. See maps
8. Having Lunch or Dinner in Amanjiwo Resort. I do understand that not everyone could afford to stay in Amanjiwo Resort. But anyone are welcome to have meal in the restaurant in Amanjiwo Resort. You can feel the calmful atmosphere of this resort that can recharge you energy and refresh your mind. You can purchase the meal for around IDR 500.000 (USD 35). It is expensive if we compare with any restaurants in Indonesia, but I think it is the normal daily meal price for you if you are US or EU Citizen. The other nice restaurant near Borobudur is Mata Langit Restaurant by Plataran. In Mata Langit, you can have a meal in the hill while seeing beautiful scenery of 6 moutains in surrounding area.
9. Rafting in Progo and Elo River. Borobudur area is surrounded by 2 rivers, those are Progo and Elo River. If you like an adventure, rafting in those rivers will be your unforgetable experience. See the starting point in this maps.
10. Tasting Luwak Coffee. Luwak coffee is a special coffee originally from Indonesia and considered as the most expensive coffee in the world. It is a coffee that has been eaten by animal called Luwak then fermented in his stomach. Indonesia is the one and only country in the world where you can taste luwak coffee in its origin place. See the cafe shop.
Okay guys, that’s all my article about How to Go from Yogyakarta International Airpor (YIA) to Borobudur Temple completed with the reason why you have to stay near Borobudur complex and the experiences you can try in Borobudur. Especially for the experiences, you can do all of those by your self, you just need to rent a bike and start cycling around to visit all places where you can have the experiences by following the maps that I have mentioned.
Only if you need a cycling guided tour which you can have more knowledge about Borobudur and Javanese Culture from the local perspective, you may please to contact me (Tinton Arya) by whatsapp on (+62 811 2650 111). I will be happy to organize the tour for you guys. 😀
You may please to see the details in the brochure below. You can discuss with me if you want to try other experiences that I mentioned above, but not in our cycling route. I will be happy to answer all of your questions.
Enjoy your trip in Special Region of Yogyakarta…
- Read also : 10 Activities or Things to Do around Borobudur
- Read also : Bus from Medan to Lake Toba
- Read also : Transport option from Yogyakarta to Semarang